In my video Yoga to Build Heat, I go through a few strong poses that engage our muscles in order to build the fire we need on a cold day.
Plank with Held Leg Lift
Any variation of plank is sure to get you feeling toasty.
- Take plank with the fingers spread out. If your arms need a bit more strengthening and it’s hard to get your hips inline with your body, drop your knees.
- Inhale to lift the right leg, hold leg up for a breath, exhale down. Repeat on left side. Make sure you are squeezing your core, pressing away from the ground with your hand and your hips are in line with your body. Check a mirror!
- Repeat for up to 10 breaths
Side plank Variation
- Start in plank & slide the left leg under the right.
- Then, lift the right arm, opening the chest and stacking the shoulders in side plank. Exhale to come down.
- Repeat 2 times on each side.
Crescent with Knee Drop
1. From Downward Dog, step in between your hands with the right foot.
2. Keep the back of the knee and heel lifted to the sky with strong firm legs. Inhale to lift the hands up to the sky.
3. Keep your balance by engaging the muscles in the legs and core.
4. Exhale to drop the back knee and inhale the knee back up. Repeat up to 5 times.
5. Take it back to downward Dog to switch sides.
1. Taking a seat, place hands behind you with your finger tips pressed towards your body.
2. Straighten legs or keep them bent if you need to build a bit more strength.
3. On your inhale, lift you hips up, bring toes towards the ground and let the head fall back. Keep the shoulder broad with the chest open towards the sky. Hold for slow 5 breaths.